Monday, June 27, 2011

Spicy carrot and beetroot salad




This started as a simple carrot salad I learnt from a Greg and Lucy Malouf cook book - grated carrots and delicious spice.  But these days I almost always add beetroot, and maybe some seeds.  And then this morning I went bonkas and threw in pomegranate, walnuts and chevre and the things went to a whole new level.  Tangy and juicy and hot hot pink.  I got a spray of pomegranate down my white t-shirt that made me look like I murdered an exotic fruit, and in many ways, I did.

Ingredients:
  • 2 carrots
  • 1 beetroot
  • 1/2 a pomegranate
  • big handful of walnuts
  • big handful of sunflower seeds
Dressing:
  • really good olive oil
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • splash of orange blossom water
  • teaspoon cumin
  • teaspoon of cinnamon
  • half a teaspoon chilli powder
  • teaspoon of honey



Grate the carrot and beetroot and put in a large mixing bowl.  This is the most time consuming part. You're already 80% there.  Oh man I love an easy salad.  Scoop the seeds from half the pomegranate.  If this is the first time you've done this it will be slightly baffling and little hard white bits will stick to the seeds (at least, this was my experience the first time I used one).  The key is to abandon all utensils and muck in with your hands - the little juicy seeds will come away from the fruit easily.





 Toast your walnuts and seeds by placing them in a thin layer in a dry frying pan, and tossing on a medium heat for about 2 minutes until they start to brown and the seeds start to pop.  Then add these to your salad.







Now mix the dressing, by taking all the dressing ingredients and stirring them vigorously in a little ramiken, like so.




Toss the dressing through, and finally, place your creamy chevre (that's fancy for soft white goats cheese) on top.

No comments: