Saturday, June 18, 2011

Zucchini salad



Fresh, green, tangy zucchinis.  I have long loved zucchinis, but never before has it occurred to me to eat them raw.  I suspect that there's a whole world of cooked vegetables that I should be eating raw.  I have already converted to raw beetroot.  And then Jamie fucken Oliver.  I hate the idea of sprooking Jamie Oliver recipes, but there's no denying that some of them are good.  I saw this one being made on tv and knew that I would make it soon. So I did.  It takes five minutes from start to finish, it's healthy and it packs punch.  Need to know more?

Ingredients:
  • zucchinis
  • 1 lemon
  • good quality olive oil
  • fresh mint
  • red chilli
  • salt and pepper


Finely chop the mint and chilli.  Grate the zest from the lemon.  Sprinkle all three over the dish you will serve the salad in.  Squeeze over the lemon juice and drizzle the olive oil.  Sprinkle a pinch of salt and cracked pepper.




Then using a vegetable peeler, peel the flesh from the zucchinis in ribbons over the top, avoiding the seeded middles.  Then smoosh the whole lot around until the zucchini is evenly coated in all the delicious little tasty bits.  Serve it with fish or seafood or chicken or pie or just eat it up with a fork and a glass of white wine!




No comments: