Sunday, July 24, 2011

Chocolate and beetroot bundt cake, OR How to win the affections of a 5 year old

 
I had dinner tonight at my dad's and step-mum's house and was pretty excited because Myra was going to be there - Myra being a serious contender for cutest five-year-old ever.  I hadn't seen her for months, and indeed hadn't seen Dad and Anne for a while, and also I had study to do today so I decided I would bake a chocolate cake to take.  And then Tristan informed me that Myra doesn't like chocolate cake and I was all "WHA...?!".  But she does like pink cakes.  And I knew I had to put beetroot in my cake and trick the the five-year-old into like my cake and liking me because of food.


Here was her verdict, in picture form.




So with no further ado:


Ingredients:
  •  1 1/2 cups of self-raising flour
  • 1/3 cup cocoa 
  • 1 large beetroot
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup yoghurt
  • 1/4 cup hot water
  • 2 eggs
  • vanilla essence
 Icing:
  • Icing sugar
  • beetroot juice
  • cardamom
  • twirl to decorate
Preheat the oven to 180 C and grease your bundt tin.  Peel and grate the beetroot. Take a big handful of the beetroot and squeeze the juice into a small ramiken and put it aside for later.  





Put the cocoa and hot water in a large bowl and mix together.  Add the two eggs and stir through, the add the beetroot and mix.




In a large jug mix the milk, oil, vanilla and yoghurt. 



Fold the milk mixture and flour into the chocolate mixture in equal parts.  Then pour into the tin and bake for 55 mins.






Take the cake out of the oven to cool and prepare the icing by adding your beetroot juice you put aside earlier to four heaped tablespoons of icing sugar and a sprinkle of cardamom.  When the cake is cooled, pour over.







Finally, take the Twirl that you found in the car that is all smashed up, and smash it up further then pour the chocolatey crumbs over the cake. Ta da!  One pink(ish) chocolate cake.



Myra has declared "She LOVES beetroot." 


No comments: