Ingredients425g can Tuna
5 spring onions – finely sliced
½ cup finely sliced eschallots (French shallots) or brown onions
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried oregano)
½ cup chopped Italian parsley
6 medium potatoes
1 large egg, beaten
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Wash and peel the potatoes. Quarter and add to a pan of boiling water and bring back to the boil. Cover and simmer gently until just tender (8-10 minutes). Drain and mash coarsely and add to a large bowl.
2. Add the tuna, herbs and onions to the potatoes and mix by hand until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Make a well in the centre of the mix and add the beaten egg, then mix until combined.
4. Form into patties about 50mm in diameter and 15mm deep and arrange on a dinner plates – about 8 to a plate
5. Microwave each plate on high – uncovered – for 5 minutes. This will set the patties. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before finishing the cooking.Finishing ingredients
1 egg, beaten
Cornflour, seasoned with a sprinkling of sumac, chilli, salt and pepper
½ cup sunflower oil for shallow frying
Dip the patties in the egg wash and then lightly coat with cornflour. shallow fry in hot sunflower oil until golden. Drain the patties on paper towels.
Serve with a tossed salad, peas and lashings of Worcestershire sauce.